The kitchen area would be the heart of any home. It can be the warmest, most active room in most homes. This is where the family meets, cooks, eats and at times entertains. You might thus, want to make it the kind of location that may be functionally sound and comfortable for entertaining or family members bonding. Should you previously have a kitchen, it is possible to opt for San Francisco Kitchen Remodeling to make it more suitable for your wants. [Read more…]
The kitchen countertop needs to withstand lots of abuse. Hot pots straight off the stove, knives and abrasive cleansers. The ideal countertop is able to stand up to heat and the sharp edge of a knife.
Allow us to take a look at 7 of the preferred kitchen countertop materials being used: [Read more…]
Gary Young recounts his history in building bamboo surfboards – starting back in 1970 and finishing his first surfboard two years later. He has some really interesting points about his experiences with bamboo:
- After over 10 years of bamboo board making, I would estimate that each layer of rotary bamboo veneer is roughly as strong as one layer of 4 ounce unidirectional fiberglass.
- Two layers of bamboo veneer with grains crossed (Eco-Logic 3.2 mm bamboo plywood has 7 layers of crossed grain bamboo veneer), epoxy laminated and vacuum bagged uses less resin than a hand laid-up 8 oz. fiberglass.
- These are truly “green” boards – the sanding dust is not itchy, the foam dust is recyclable, and the renewable bamboo fiber trimmings decompose into soil.
- Epoxy has very few volatile fumes, is stronger and is used more efficiently than polyester resin in regular boards.
- Very little epoxy winds up on the floor and very little acetone is used in cleanup.
- Polyester resin does NOT bond well to bamboo plywood.
- Pre-laminated bamboo panels have water absorbing problems too, often due to funky, non-waterproof glues and voids (Eco-Logic bamboo plywood panels use water friendly glues).
Steps in Glazing Kitchen Cabinets
Whether you desire to add character or appeal to your already painted kitchen cabinets, or you just want to darken up stained wood cabinetries, furnishing them with a regal and antique look with the use of colorant and some techniques is pretty easy. The following are the simple steps in glazing kitchen cabinets.
Affordability and eco-friendly are often not used in the same sentence. This often happens as marketers ride the eco-friendly bandwagon for excess profits.
This is not the case with bamboo flooring. Sustainable equals competitive pricing when one compares bamboo flooring to other solid wood and engineered flooring options. Case Architects designed a modern & affordable eco-friendly home which includes bamboo, see how they did it … [Read more…]
Incorporating Wrought Iron Staircases, Doors and Fences To Improve The Quality, Value, And Comfort Of Your Household
Several builders today are constructing the least expensive possible houses, and completely forgetting about the style and longevity of the home. This, obviously, is because buyers are demanding the most achievable square footage, at the least expensive feasible rate. This is a pattern that is changing considerably as home buyers are seeking more inspired features in their new homes.
We’re often asked which products to use for their bamboo finishing.
So here we have a guideline for you to follow when finishing your bamboo countertop or bamboo plywood project.
Preparation is always the most critical step in any bamboo finishing application, get that wrong and the quality and durability of your finish is drastically reduced.
The first step is to give the surface a light sand just to remove the grime.
Bamboo finishing – oil
Oil is one of the most traditional finishes used.
Oils do not provide as much protection as the more modern finishes e.g. varnish. Oil finishes however, bring out the natural beauty of bamboo boards and counter tops. If you want to stain your bamboo prior to oiling it, use a water-based stain. Oil-based dyes will clog-up the bamboo’s “pores”, stopping the oil finish from soaking in effectively. [Read more…]
We’re always telling everyone how tolerant our bamboo boards are of water. Well here are some real world examples …
With regards to decorating a kid’s bedroom it seems like an uphill task for the parents as to many questions pop to their head. Ought to they program the room around their child’s beloved cartoon character? Or ought to the mother and father paint the room to appear like a tropical forest or a fortress? [Read more…]